Hence it was Deepavali celebrations on Saturday and we had massive fun cooking big meals, decorating the prayer alter with plenty of flowers and wonderful smelling incense sticks, Skyping with my families in two time-zones and laughing, watching my baby boy stuck to my legs the moment we set the fire works up.
Simply a celebrative excuse to share this recipe..
I think I have perfected this recipe after ample trialling, and I’m finally happy giving it a space on my blog.
Every recipe is a research.
Basic sponge – The CreamCili Way
160c (fan assisted oven)
175c (other oven types)
7-8 inch round cake tin / regular sized loaf tin
200g Lidl Vita D’or Butter
160g Golden caster sugar
40g Granulated sugar
200g Self raising flour
3g / 1 tsp. Baking powder
230g eggs (Approx. 4 large) – lightly beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla paste
60ml milk (I’ve tried with both Red and Blue cap milk, both turns out as good)
1. Sift flour with bp. and keep aside.
2. Cream butter with sugars on high speed for approx. 5 mins – electric mixer.
3. Add eggs in 5-6 batches, beating on medium speed after each batch. Add a little flour as necessary.
4. Add vanilla paste and beat.
5. Fold in the flour in 4-5 batches.
6. Add milk at the end and fold well.
7. Bake for approx. 45-55 mins.
Why? Lidl Vita D’or Butter
Its primary made out of Rapeseed oil and (best of all) buttermilk!! And it has a touch of saltiness creating a quintessential sponge.
Here’s the buttercream recipe posted in a previous post. This recipe is more buttery than sugary hence please do avoid keeping out in warmer temperatures. 🙂
Be good to hear your thoughts guys.